This Southern Style Sweet Potato Casserole is a holiday tradition for our family. It will be a delicious addition to your holiday meal traditions as well.
What would the holidays be without sweet potato casserole? At our house, there would be a small rebellion if I thought of leaving it off the menu! I used a recipe given to me by the boys’ paternal grandmother as my base recipe.
I made a different one for Thanksgiving when Tommy was about 3. He told me, “It’s good Mommy, but it’s not like BB’s.” She so sweetly wrote down her recipe for me and I have made it, with my own little tweaks, ever since. It’s so good my husband eats it as dessert.
3 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes (this is about 3 medium potatoes)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp real salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup butter, cut into chunks
Topping: May cut in half if you want
2 cups brown sugar
2/3 cups melted butter
1/4 cup flour
2/3 cup oatmeal
3/4 cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 350.
Butter the casserole dish you want to use – I use a 9 x 13 glass pan
Beat sweet potatoes in a mixer until smooth. Add other ingredients and blend well. Pour into your prepared pan.
Melt butter. Add other ingredients and blend well. Sprinkle/spread over top of casserole and bake for 20 – 30 minutes until brown on top and bubbling in middle. Serve warm.
As a little lagniappe, top with marshmallows or homemade marshmallow cream (my favorite) the last 10 minutes of baking.
As will all my recipes, you know my ingredients are non-GMO, organic, and/or raised by us. You use those ingredients you are comfortable and happy with using. When we cook with love and happiness, those good energies spill over into our food and create special dishes for our loved ones.
Southern Style Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 cups cooked - mashed sweet potatoes (this is about 3 medium potatoes)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs - beaten
- ¼ cup butter - cut into chunks
- Topping: Can cut in half if you want
- 2 cups brown sugar
- ⅔ cups melted butter
- ¼ cup flour
- ⅔ cup oatmeal
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350
- Butter the casserole dish you want to use – I use a 9 x 13 glass pan.
- Beat sweet potatoes in mixer until smooth. Pause to remove any strings that cling to the mixer attachment.
- Add other ingredients and blend well.
- Melt butter. Add other ingredients and blend well.
- Sprinkle/spread over top of casserole and bake for 20 – 30 minutes until brown on top and bubbling in middle.
- Top with marshmallows the last 10 minutes of baking for a little lagniappe.
How to make your own brown sugar:
1 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons molasses for dark brown sugar – 1 Tablespoon molasses for light brown sugar
Use a fork to combine well. That’s it!