In the United States, the versatility of ways to use coconut oil has gained popularity in recent years. More and more people are discovering its myriad of benefits and practical applications. It’s interesting to me how in many cultures around the world, coconut oil has been a cherished tradition and staple for millennia. Explore the time-honored ways we use coconut oil from the kitchen table to the milk cow stable for happy, healthy lives!
How We Use Coconut Oil
As we look at coconut oil’s versatility, you’ll soon discover that it’s not just a kitchen staple but a multi-purpose treasure on our homestead. From enhancing the flavors of our favorite dishes to providing natural remedies for our beloved livestock and pets, coconut oil has earned its place in our daily lives.
Whether it’s soothing pink eye in cows, helping our dogs fend off heartworms, or serving as a nourishing facial cream, this humble oil is a true homestead hero.
- Cooking – I use coconut oil for frying, although we don’t often fry foods. Heat doesn’t make coconut oil rancid like it does other oils. This means it won’t cause free radicals in the food.
- I replace butter in homemade flour tortillas and pie crust with coconut oil.
- Use it to replace lard or butter in almost any recipe. It replaces all oils, liquids, or solids.
- If you’re using Einkorn flour, I don’t recommend using coconut oil. You can learn more about Einkorn flour and why we switched to it in our post dedicated to it.
- Seasoning of my cast iron – When I have a piece of cast iron that needs its seasoning refreshed, I rub a little coconut oil onto the cast iron and put it in a 350-degree oven for about 30 minutes.When I started using coconut oil instead of other “processed” products. I found that my cast iron holds a seasoning longer.
- You can learn all about using and caring for cast iron in our dedicated post.
- Moisturizer – As a homesteader, I’ve embraced the art of crafting my beauty care products, and coconut oil takes center stage in all of them. Its natural richness not only provides moisture but also nourishes and revitalizes the skin, leaving it soft and radiant.
- Furniture polish – 1/4 cup melted coconut oil, 4 Tablespoons ACV, and a few drops of the essential oil of your choice. I like scotch pine in mine.
- Put in a spray bottle and shake well. If you don’t use it all, no worries, just shake it well before each use.
- Spray on wood and wipe with a clean cloth. I sometimes just spray my rag and wipe.
- Makeup Remover– I just couldn’t imagine that anything I made myself could remove all the dirt and makeup. I also could not reconcile how an oil-based product would be good for my skin. Boy was I wrong! I have to say this has helped to transform my skin. It has a healthy glow, is clearer, and dare I say I look younger!
- Toothpaste and Oral Health – Mix 6 Tablespoons of organic coconut oil, 6 Tablespoons of baking soda, and 15-25 drops of peppermint or spearmint pure essential oil. in a glass jar. I use a jelly jar.
- Use the amount of essential oil according to your taste.
- We use this and baking soda with hydrogen peroxide for toothpaste and have seen our gums become healthier and our smiles whiter.
- Oil Pulling for Oral Health – place a teaspoon of coconut oil in your mouth. Swish it around for 10 minutes, though feel free to pause and restart if you need to give your jaws a break.
- It’s essential to remember not to dispose of the oil down the drain, as it can solidify in the pipes when it cools, potentially leading to drainage problems. Instead, spit the used oil into the trash or onto the ground to maintain a healthy and clog-free plumbing system.
- You can learn more about making your own toothpaste in our dedicated post.
- Fire Starters – To create fire starters, begin by saturating cotton balls with melted coconut oil. Allow them to cool and solidify partially on the counter or in a cool location.
- Once they’ve solidified, transfer them into a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid and keep them in a cool dark place.
- When it’s time to start a fire, simply add a couple of these prepared cotton balls to your kindling and ignite them.
- Non-dairy creamer – Enhance your daily coffee or tea with a delightful and health-conscious twist by incorporating half a teaspoon of coconut oil and half a teaspoon of coconut cream concentrate.
- The advantages of this flavorful addition extend far beyond taste. From bolstering mental alertness (which we all could use a bit more of) to alleviating allergies and promoting stronger nails and healthier hair, we’ve personally enjoyed a range of benefits since embracing this dietary choice.
- Not only does it help maintain a calm and smoothly functioning intestinal tract, but it’s also known to contribute to diabetes management, cholesterol reduction, and alleviating IBS symptoms—transforming the health landscape for my youngest son who once grappled with this condition during his teenage years.
- Pink Eye Treatment for Cows – We use coconut oil in the care of our beloved milk cow, Buttercup. When faced with pink eye, we’ve found that gently applying a thin layer of coconut oil to her eye before each milking, clears up the pink eye usually overnight but definitely by the second day.
- Udder Cream for Milk Cows – My homemade udder cream for our dairy cows starts with coconut oil. It’s a gentle and effective udder cream that not only keeps our cows’ skin supple but also promotes overall udder health.
- You can get the recipe for my homemade udder cream in our post dedicated to it.
- Heartworm Prevention in our dogs – Ensuring the well-being of our pack is a top priority on our homestead, and coconut oil has become essential to that.
- We give them a tablespoon every day for a week each month. We’ve found it to be a valuable ally in preventing heartworms. They beg for it when we open the jar so getting them to take it is no problem.
- Its natural properties deter these troublesome parasites, safeguarding the health and vitality of our furry friends.
Coconut oil has proven to be a true multitasker, offering a wealth of benefits that extend far beyond our homestead. By incorporating coconut oil into our daily routines, we’re not only introducing a valuable source of healthy fats into our diets but also aiding our bodies in carrying out their vital functions.
In recognizing the intricacies of our well-designed bodies, we acknowledge the significant impact of our dietary choices and lifestyle on our overall health. As stewards of our well-being, we’re committed to providing our bodies with the support they deserve, aligning with the wisdom of nature and making conscious choices to nurture our health and vitality, in harmony with God’s design.
How to Choose Which Coconut Oil to Buy
When it comes to selecting the ideal coconut oil for your needs, there are a lot of brands and options. However, making a wise choice boils down to understanding the methods employed in extracting the oil from the coconut. Different methods yield varying qualities of coconut oil, so it’s essential to consider the following factors when deciding which coconut oil to buy.
You can learn more about choosing the right oil in our article dedicated to this topic. We give you valuable insight into oils, their heat points, and how to know which to buy.
- Extraction Method: Pay close attention to how the coconut oil is extracted. The two primary methods are cold-pressed (also known as virgin or unrefined) and refined.
- Cold-pressed coconut oil retains more of its natural flavor, aroma, and all of its health benefits, making it an excellent choice for culinary and health-conscious use.
- Refined coconut oil, on the other hand, undergoes processing that removes some of its natural characteristics, especially the health benefits.
- Quality and Source: Investigate the source of the coconuts used to make the oil. Opt for brands that prioritize sourcing high-quality coconuts, ideally from organic sources and sustainable farms. This ensures that the oil is free from harmful chemicals and contaminants.
- Packaging: The ideal packaging for coconut oil is an airtight, light-resistant glass container. This is hard to find. To buy coconut oil in glass jars is not cost-effective for us. It seems the small jars are glass but the larger jars are plastic. It is a compromise we make although we do all we can to avoid plastic.
- Certifications: Look for certifications like USDA Organic or Fair Trade, Non-GMO which indicate a commitment to quality, ethical sourcing, and sustainable practices.
By carefully evaluating these factors, you can make an informed decision and select the coconut oil that best aligns with your intended use and values.
The coconut oil we buy:
We proudly select Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil as our trusted choice. Renowned for its commitment to quality and sustainability, Nutiva sources the finest organic coconuts to produce this exceptional coconut oil. Their dedication to organic farming practices and fair trade principles ensures that each jar of Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil not only meets our highest standards but also supports ethical and responsible coconut farming. With Nutiva, we prioritize the well-being of our homestead and the planet alike.
Coconut oil has become an indispensable asset on our homestead, serving a multitude of purposes that enhance our daily lives. From its role as a versatile ingredient in homemade beauty products to its efficacy in soothing livestock ailments, coconut oil has proven its worth time and time again.
We’ve explored its various applications, such as preventing heartworm in our dogs, creating homemade udder cream for our dairy cows, and even crafting fire starters for our hearth. Choosing the right coconut oil involves considering factors like extraction methods, source, and packaging to embody our values of quality and sustainability. As we continue on our homesteading journey, coconut oil remains a steadfast companion, a testament to the power of nature’s gifts in enriching our lives.